Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Pages - Menu

0
Monday, April 9, 2012

[something impressive big words something something]

From time to time, I would stumble upon people who combine big words into such complex sentences that is seemingly aimed to delude others into thinking that these writers belong to the most highly-regarded caste of human being. Off they go, placing one big words--that is usually just the more obscure synonym of a very simple everyday word--right next to another, weaving paragraphs that, instead of containing the least heartwarming information, makes no direct sense to readers. Instead of being understood, these pieces of sentences are misunderstood. Instead of flaunting intelligence, they come off a bit funny.


I am not always so judgmental, though the above paragraph may tell you otherwise. But trust me when I say this is just a simple case of curiosity about the How. How these people do it. (Because maybe, just Maybe, I want to learn!)



There is this Mini Oxford Dictionary that I like to carry around often, that is, before I got myself a decent smartphone that allows for a more convenient word-search acitvity. These individuals, I imagine, own something like the mini dictionary, but a thesaurus. Something they would flip every other minute or so to search for a word, any word, that is not of common use, to pick out and directly paste into a text.



They would abandon the contexts for which these words are more appropriate, if not exclusively so. Doing this with such intense confidence and pleasure that I wonder if they can even taste their burning tongue while devouring these metaphorical fresh-from-the-oven cookies without setting them aside for a moment to cool down. Without research I mean, duh. (I'm shit with metaphors, I tell you)



Writing, be it a 140 char. tweet or a 2000 words essay, to me, isn't so much about the big words that impress as it is about the small words that are efficiently used to express and make tangible an idea.



But an expert I am not on this subject.




P.S. What do you know, this is all probably just jealousy.

0 Comments: